Thursday, 6 July 2017

Little owls

Chris and I had a trip out this morning to St.Aidans, where we hoped to see little owl and we were not disappointed. The birds were in the area fenced off around the big drag machine that was used when open cast coal mining  took place. The birds were on the piles of wooden sleepers that the jib of the crane was resting on. They were difficult to see as they blended in with the colour of the wood.
An owl then flew onto a concrete fence post and we had a better view of it.



It was very hot so we decided not to walk further onto the reserve looking for black necked grebes but to call in at Fairburn Ings on our way home.
From the Lin Dike hide we saw various birds including a greenshank.
I had a few jobs to do then I went to North Cave wetlands.
From Crosslands hide I could see this family of coots.





From the South hide I could see a black swan
Great crested grebes were fishing in front of the hide.
A common tern was fishing in front of the hide

In between the rain showers I walked along one of the paths and came across this very tame rabbit

Some orchids were near the path
A comma butterfly was on some brambles

A burnett moth I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment